The RSK advises the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) in safety-related matters and thus matters concerning the physical protection of nuclear installations and radioactive waste management.* Further information on consultations and the topics dealt with are given in Chapter IV. Processes - 11. Consultations of the Reactor Safety Commission (RSK) and handling of the results (on page 75) of the Manual on cooperation between the Federation and the Länder in atomic law. Click here for the document (in German).
Since 1958, the RSK has been performing this advisory work for the federal ministry responsible for the safety of nuclear installations and radiation protection (since 2018 the BMU, formerly the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety (2013-2018), the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (1986-2013), the Federal Ministry of the Interior (1972-1986), the Federal Ministry for Education and Science (1969-1972), the Federal Ministry of Scientific Research (1962-1969), the Federal Ministry of Nuclear Energy and Water (1958-1962)).
- STATEMENT of 21.10.2020 - Guidelines for the conditioning of radioactive waste with negligible heat generation (available in German only)
- STATEMENT of 17.06.2020 - Statement on outstanding safety issues with regard to deformations of fuel assemblies in German pressurised water reactors (PWRs) including an assessment of the statistical LOCA analysis (available in German only)
- RECOMMENDATION of 12.02.2020 - Increased oxide layer thicknesses in the upper part of fuel assemblies with M5 cladding tubes
- STATEMENT of 11.12.2019 - Closed cooling water and auxiliary service water systems (available in German only)
* With the establishment of the NUCLEAR WASTE MANAGEMENT COMMISSION (Entsorgungskommission - ESK) at the BMU on 12.06.2008 and its first meeting on 30.06.2008, radioactive waste management has become a topic of consultations of the ESK (www.entsorgungskommission.de); the RSK Committee on FUEL SUPPLY AND WASTE MANAGEMENT (VE) ceased to exist.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)