In performing its tasks, the RSK, its committees and working groups are supported by a general secretariat. The Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) accommodated the general secretariat at the Federal Office for Radiation Protection (BfS); it is assigned to the central department of the BFS but is not bound by technical instructions of the BfS. The RSK general secretariat is located in Bonn - as the Directorate-General for the "Safety of Nuclear Installations; Radiological Protection; Nuclear Fuel Cycle" of the BMU.
Together with the stipulations of the statute, the interests of the RSK, its committees and working groups define the activities of the general secretariat whose major functions are as follows:
- Preparation of the meetings of the RSK, its committees and working groups as well as the preparation of technical discussions,
- preparation and compilation of the relevant documents needed for the RSK meetings,
- preparation of proposals for decision and of alternative proposals,
- evaluation of the meetings and preparation of the resolution minutes,
- documentation of the results of the consultations, especially the recommendations and statements adopted,
- compilation of information and data on issues to be discussed,
- preparation of meetings of the RSK with foreign partner organisations, and
- administration of the RSK web page.
For the performance of its tasks, the general secretariat is provided with six positions for scientific staff, one administrator position and 1.5 positions for office work.
beim Bundesamt für Strahlenschutz
Postfach 12 06 29
Tel: + 49 228/305-37 20
Fax: + 49 228/67 03 88
Office: Robert-Schuman-Platz 3, 53175 Bonn