In performing its tasks, the RSK, its committees and working groups are supported by a general secretariat. The Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Nuclear Safety and Consumer Protection (BMUV) accommodated the general secretariat at the Federal Office for the Safety of Nuclear Waste Management (BASE); it is assigned to the Department N (Nuclear Safety) of the BASE but is not bound by technical instructions of the BASE. The RSK general secretariat is located in Bonn - as the Directorate-General for the "Nuclear Safety, Radiation Protection" of the BMUV.
Together with the stipulations of the statute, the interests of the RSK, its committees and working groups define the activities of the general secretariat whose major functions are as follows:
- Preparation of the meetings of the RSK, its committees and working groups as well as the preparation of technical discussions,
- preparation and compilation of the relevant documents needed for the RSK meetings,
- preparation of proposals for decision and of alternative proposals,
- evaluation of the meetings and preparation of the resolution minutes,
- documentation of the results of the consultations, especially the recommendations and statements adopted,
- compilation of information and data on issues to be discussed,
- preparation of meetings of the RSK with foreign partner organisations, and
- administration of the RSK web page.
For the performance of its tasks, the general secretariat is provided with six positions for scientific staff, one administrator position and 1.5 positions for office work.
at the Federal Office for the Safety of Nuclear Waste Management (BASE)
P.O. Box 12 06 29
Tel: + 49 228/305-37 20
Fax: + 49 228/67 03 88
Office: Robert-Schuman-Platz 3, 53175 Bonn, Germany